What is a Broken Ankle?
A broken ankle, also known as a fractured ankle, occurs when one or more bones in the ankle joint break.
What Causes a Broken Ankle?
A broken ankle has many potential causes, including, but not necessarily limited to:
- Twisting or rolling the ankle
- A sudden impact on the ankle, such as a fall or auto accident
- Repetitive motions
Broken Ankle Symptoms
Symptoms of a broken ankle include, but are not necessarily limited to:
- Ankle pain
- Ankle swelling
- In severe cases, bone may appear out of the skin
If you or a loved one experience any of the above symptoms of a broken ankle, it's important to seek medical attention. If untreated, a broken ankle can get worse and has the potential for long term problems.
Broken Ankle Treatment Options
SOS ankle doctors have the experience and specialized equipment to diagnose a broken ankle. The SOS team has helped patients by providing treatments for a broken ankle.
Broken ankle treatments vary depending on the severity.
Broken ankle treatment options include, but are not necessarily limited to:
- Applying a splint or cast
- Applying a protective boot
- Using crutches to prevent weight from being put on the ankle
Which is the Best Ankle Treatment for You or Your Loved One?