What is Frozen Shoulder?
Frozen shoulder is a medical condition that is often associated with shoulder pain. When the shoulder capsule thickens and tightens around the shoulder joint, the shoulder joint's movement is restricted, causing frozen shoulder. Also known as adhesive capsulitis, frozen shoulder is associated with shoulder stiffness and joint shoulder pain.
Frozen Shoulder Causes
While frozen shoulder causes can be difficult to pinpoint, certain conditions make frozen shoulder more likely to develop in patients. These conditions that are more likely to be associated with frozen shoulder include, but are not necessarily limited to:
- Cardiovascular disease
- Parkinson's disease
- A stroke
- A mastectomy
- Immobilizing the shoulder for a long period of time, such as after surgery or after an arm fracture
Frozen Shoulder Symptoms
Frozen shoulder symptoms include, but are not necessarily limited to:
- Shoulder pain caused by moving the shoulder
- Limited range of motion in the shoulder
- Shoulder stiffness that may make it difficult to use your shoulder
- Shoulder pain that disrupts sleep
- Shoulder stiffness that disrupts sleep
- Shoulder pain that gets worse at night
If you or a loved one experience shoulder pain or any of the above frozen shoulder symptoms, it's important to seek care from an SOS shoulder specialist.
Frozen Shoulder Diagnosis
Diagnosing frozen shoulder is an important step toward shoulder pain relief. Frozen shoulder diagnosis methods include, but are not necessarily limited to:
- A shoulder doctor evaluating a patient's shoulder pain and range of motion
- An MRI
An SOS shoulder specialist can perform a frozen shoulder diagnosis.
Frozen Shoulder Treatment
Effective frozen shoulder treatment will vary based on individual patient needs. However, common frozen shoulder treatment includes, but is not necessarily limited to:
- Anti-inflammatory medication
- Medication for shoulder pain
- Physical therapy
- Joint distension
- Shoulder manipulation
- Shoulder surgery, when necessary
The team of SOS shoulder doctors provide total orthopedic care, developing personalized care plans to treat frozen shoulder and relieve associated shoulder pain.
To see an SOS shoulder specialist for frozen shoulder or shoulder pain...